June 26, 1954
The NACA High-Speed Flight Research Station moved from its cramped quarters in a small hangar at what is now known as Edwards' South Base to just north of the new main base at Edwards Air Force Base, on the edge of Rogers Dry Lake. Less than a week later on July 1, 1954, the station was re-designated NACA High-Speed Flight Station, dropping the word "Research" from its title. The initial complex, consisting of a central office building and two adjoining hangars along with a few appurtenant structures, became the nucleus of today's NASA Dryden Flight Research Center.
NACA / NASA Photo