Lesson Title: NASA's Student Glovebox -- Droplet Investigation of Liquids
Inquiry-based technology lesson to construct a sealed container with built-in gloves and to explore the properties of liquids.
• Design their own experiment and hardware to use in their team's glovebox.
• Experiment with various fibers and liquids to determine which fiber and which liquid will produce the most spherical droplet.
• Investigate the best way to mount the fiber.
• Write instructions to conduct the activity.
• Present their conclusions at a science conference.
Professional Development Training Module for This Lesson
Lesson Activities and Sequence
Students will build a glovebox then design their own DIL experiment and experiment hardware that can be used in their team's glovebox. To conduct this activity, students will need to experiment with various fibers and liquids to determine which fiber and which liquid will produce the most spherical droplet.
Keywords: fluids, viscosity, design process
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science as Inquiry
• Understanding of scientific concepts.
• An appreciation of "how we know" what we know in science.
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• The dispositions to use the skills, abilities and attitudes associated with science.
Science in Technology
• Abilities of technological design.
ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Students, ISTE
Creativity and Innovation
• Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products or processes.
Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making
• Plan and manage activities to develop a solution or complete a project.
Research and Information Fluency
• Plan strategies to guide inquiry.
• Locate, organize, analyze, evaluate, synthesize and ethically use information from a variety of sources and media.
• Evaluate and select information sources and digital tools based on the appropriateness to specific tasks.
• Process data and report results.
Technology Operations and Concepts
• Understand and use technology systems.
• Select and use applications effectively and productively.